Subject: [PATCH 16/41] net: don't call strlen() on the user buffer in packet_bind_spkt()

From: Alexander Potapenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 12:57:20 +0100

[ Upstream commit 540e2894f7905538740aaf122bd8e0548e1c34a4 ]

KMSAN (KernelMemorySanitizer, a new error detection tool) reports use of
uninitialized memory in packet_bind_spkt():
Acked-by: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>

==================================================================
BUG: KMSAN: use of unitialized memory
CPU: 0 PID: 1074 Comm: packet Not tainted 4.8.0-rc6+ #1891
Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS Bochs
01/01/2011
 0000000000000000 ffff88006b6dfc08 ffffffff82559ae8 ffff88006b6dfb48
 ffffffff818a7c91 ffffffff85b9c870 0000000000000092 ffffffff85b9c550
 0000000000000000 0000000000000092 00000000ec400911 0000000000000002
Call Trace:
 [<     inline     >] __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:15
 [<ffffffff82559ae8>] dump_stack+0x238/0x290 lib/dump_stack.c:51
 [<ffffffff818a6626>] kmsan_report+0x276/0x2e0 mm/kmsan/kmsan.c:1003
 [<ffffffff818a783b>] __msan_warning+0x5b/0xb0
mm/kmsan/kmsan_instr.c:424
 [<     inline     >] strlen lib/string.c:484
 [<ffffffff8259b58d>] strlcpy+0x9d/0x200 lib/string.c:144
 [<ffffffff84b2eca4>] packet_bind_spkt+0x144/0x230
net/packet/af_packet.c:3132
 [<ffffffff84242e4d>] SYSC_bind+0x40d/0x5f0 net/socket.c:1370
 [<ffffffff84242a22>] SyS_bind+0x82/0xa0 net/socket.c:1356
 [<ffffffff8515991b>] entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x13/0x8f
arch/x86/entry/entry_64.o:?
chained origin: 00000000eba00911
 [<ffffffff810bb787>] save_stack_trace+0x27/0x50
arch/x86/kernel/stacktrace.c:67
 [<     inline     >] kmsan_save_stack_with_flags mm/kmsan/kmsan.c:322
 [<     inline     >] kmsan_save_stack mm/kmsan/kmsan.c:334
 [<ffffffff818a59f8>] kmsan_internal_chain_origin+0x118/0x1e0
mm/kmsan/kmsan.c:527
 [<ffffffff818a7773>] __msan_set_alloca_origin4+0xc3/0x130
mm/kmsan/kmsan_instr.c:380
 [<ffffffff84242b69>] SYSC_bind+0x129/0x5f0 net/socket.c:1356
 [<ffffffff84242a22>] SyS_bind+0x82/0xa0 net/socket.c:1356
 [<ffffffff8515991b>] entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x13/0x8f
arch/x86/entry/entry_64.o:?
origin description: ----address@SYSC_bind (origin=00000000eb400911)
==================================================================
(the line numbers are relative to 4.8-rc6, but the bug persists
upstream)

, when I run the following program as root:

=====================================
 #include <string.h>
 #include <sys/socket.h>
 #include <netpacket/packet.h>
 #include <net/ethernet.h>

 int main() {
   struct sockaddr addr;
   memset(&addr, 0xff, sizeof(addr));
   addr.sa_family = AF_PACKET;
   int fd = socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_PACKET, htons(ETH_P_ALL));
   bind(fd, &addr, sizeof(addr));
   return 0;
 }
=====================================

This happens because addr.sa_data copied from the userspace is not
zero-terminated, and copying it with strlcpy() in packet_bind_spkt()
results in calling strlen() on the kernel copy of that non-terminated
buffer.

Signed-off-by: Alexander Potapenko <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 net/packet/af_packet.c | 8 ++++++--
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/net/packet/af_packet.c b/net/packet/af_packet.c
index 34de326..f2b04a7 100644
--- a/net/packet/af_packet.c
+++ b/net/packet/af_packet.c
@@ -3140,7 +3140,7 @@ static int packet_bind_spkt(struct socket *sock, struct sockaddr *uaddr,
 			    int addr_len)
 {
 	struct sock *sk = sock->sk;
-	char name[15];
+	char name[sizeof(uaddr->sa_data) + 1];
 
 	/*
 	 *	Check legality
@@ -3148,7 +3148,11 @@ static int packet_bind_spkt(struct socket *sock, struct sockaddr *uaddr,
 
 	if (addr_len != sizeof(struct sockaddr))
 		return -EINVAL;
-	strlcpy(name, uaddr->sa_data, sizeof(name));
+	/* uaddr->sa_data comes from the userspace, it's not guaranteed to be
+	 * zero-terminated.
+	 */
+	memcpy(name, uaddr->sa_data, sizeof(uaddr->sa_data));
+	name[sizeof(uaddr->sa_data)] = 0;
 
 	return packet_do_bind(sk, name, 0, pkt_sk(sk)->num);
 }
-- 
2.1.0