Subject: [PATCH 18/24] net: bcmgenet: remove bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup()

From: Doug Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 14:01:06 -0700

[ Upstream commit 31739eae738ccbe8b9d627c3f2251017ca03f4d2 ]

Commit 6ac3ce8295e6 ("net: bcmgenet: Remove excessive PHY reset")
removed the bcmgenet_mii_reset() function from bcmgenet_power_up() and
bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup() functions.  In so doing it broke the reset
of the internal PHY devices used by the GENETv1-GENETv3 which required
this reset before the UniMAC was enabled.  It also broke the internal
GPHY devices used by the GENETv4 because the config_init that installed
the AFE workaround was no longer occurring after the reset of the GPHY
performed by bcmgenet_phy_power_set() in bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup().
In addition the code in bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup() related to the
"enable APD" comment goes with the bcmgenet_mii_reset() so it should
have also been removed.

Commit bd4060a6108b ("net: bcmgenet: Power on integrated GPHY in
bcmgenet_power_up()") moved the bcmgenet_phy_power_set() call to the
bcmgenet_power_up() function, but failed to remove it from the
bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup() function.  Had it done so, the
bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup() function would have been empty and could
have been removed at that time.

Commit 5dbebbb44a6a ("net: bcmgenet: Software reset EPHY after power on")
was submitted to correct the functional problems introduced by
commit 6ac3ce8295e6 ("net: bcmgenet: Remove excessive PHY reset"). It
was included in v4.4 and made available on 4.3-stable. Unfortunately,
it didn't fully revert the commit because this bcmgenet_mii_reset()
doesn't apply the soft reset to the internal GPHY used by GENETv4 like
the previous one did. This prevents the restoration of the AFE work-
arounds for internal GPHY devices after the bcmgenet_phy_power_set() in
bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup().

This commit takes the alternate approach of removing the unnecessary
bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup() function which shouldn't have been in v4.3
so that when bcmgenet_mii_reset() was restored it should have only gone
into bcmgenet_power_up().  This will avoid the problems while also
removing the redundancy (and hopefully some of the confusion).

Fixes: 6ac3ce8295e6 ("net: bcmgenet: Remove excessive PHY reset")
Signed-off-by: Doug Berger <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet/bcmmii.c | 15 ---------------
 1 file changed, 15 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet/bcmmii.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet/bcmmii.c
index e876076..2f92819 100644
--- a/drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet/bcmmii.c
+++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet/bcmmii.c
@@ -220,20 +220,6 @@ void bcmgenet_phy_power_set(struct net_device *dev, bool enable)
 	udelay(60);
 }
 
-static void bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup(struct net_device *dev)
-{
-	struct bcmgenet_priv *priv = netdev_priv(dev);
-	u32 reg;
-
-	/* Power up PHY */
-	bcmgenet_phy_power_set(dev, true);
-	/* enable APD */
-	reg = bcmgenet_ext_readl(priv, EXT_EXT_PWR_MGMT);
-	reg |= EXT_PWR_DN_EN_LD;
-	bcmgenet_ext_writel(priv, reg, EXT_EXT_PWR_MGMT);
-	bcmgenet_mii_reset(dev);
-}
-
 static void bcmgenet_moca_phy_setup(struct bcmgenet_priv *priv)
 {
 	u32 reg;
@@ -281,7 +267,6 @@ int bcmgenet_mii_config(struct net_device *dev)
 
 		if (priv->internal_phy) {
 			phy_name = "internal PHY";
-			bcmgenet_internal_phy_setup(dev);
 		} else if (priv->phy_interface == PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_MOCA) {
 			phy_name = "MoCA";
 			bcmgenet_moca_phy_setup(priv);
-- 
2.1.0