Subject: [PATCH 20/24] socket, bpf: fix sk_filter use after free in sk_clone_lock

From: Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 13:08:08 +0100

[ Upstream commit a97e50cc4cb67e1e7bff56f6b41cda62ca832336 ]

In sk_clone_lock(), we create a new socket and inherit most of the
parent's members via sock_copy() which memcpy()'s various sections.
Now, in case the parent socket had a BPF socket filter attached,
then newsk->sk_filter points to the same instance as the original
sk->sk_filter.

sk_filter_charge() is then called on the newsk->sk_filter to take a
reference and should that fail due to hitting max optmem, we bail
out and release the newsk instance.

The issue is that commit 278571baca2a ("net: filter: simplify socket
charging") wrongly combined the dismantle path with the failure path
of xfrm_sk_clone_policy(). This means, even when charging failed, we
call sk_free_unlock_clone() on the newsk, which then still points to
the same sk_filter as the original sk.

Thus, sk_free_unlock_clone() calls into __sk_destruct() eventually
where it tests for present sk_filter and calls sk_filter_uncharge()
on it, which potentially lets sk_omem_alloc wrap around and releases
the eBPF prog and sk_filter structure from the (still intact) parent.

Fix it by making sure that when sk_filter_charge() failed, we reset
newsk->sk_filter back to NULL before passing to sk_free_unlock_clone(),
so that we don't mess with the parents sk_filter.

Only if xfrm_sk_clone_policy() fails, we did reach the point where
either the parent's filter was NULL and as a result newsk's as well
or where we previously had a successful sk_filter_charge(), thus for
that case, we do need sk_filter_uncharge() to release the prior taken
reference on sk_filter.

Fixes: 278571baca2a ("net: filter: simplify socket charging")
Signed-off-by: Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Alexei Starovoitov <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 net/core/sock.c | 6 ++++++
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+)

diff --git a/net/core/sock.c b/net/core/sock.c
index c8a5cbf..4e7f10c 100644
--- a/net/core/sock.c
+++ b/net/core/sock.c
@@ -1545,6 +1545,12 @@ struct sock *sk_clone_lock(const struct sock *sk, const gfp_t priority)
 			is_charged = sk_filter_charge(newsk, filter);
 
 		if (unlikely(!is_charged || xfrm_sk_clone_policy(newsk, sk))) {
+			/* We need to make sure that we don't uncharge the new
+			 * socket if we couldn't charge it in the first place
+			 * as otherwise we uncharge the parent's filter.
+			 */
+			if (!is_charged)
+				RCU_INIT_POINTER(newsk->sk_filter, NULL);
 			/* It is still raw copy of parent, so invalidate
 			 * destructor and make plain sk_free() */
 			newsk->sk_destruct = NULL;
-- 
2.1.0