Subject: [PATCH 10/33] tcp_bbr: record "full bw reached" decision in new full_bw_reached bit

From: Neal Cardwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 12:43:30 -0500

[ Upstream commit c589e69b508d29ed8e644dfecda453f71c02ec27 ]

This commit records the "full bw reached" decision in a new
full_bw_reached bit. This is a pure refactor that does not change the
current behavior, but enables subsequent fixes and improvements.

In particular, this enables simple and clean fixes because the full_bw
and full_bw_cnt can be unconditionally zeroed without worrying about
forgetting that we estimated we filled the pipe in Startup. And it
enables future improvements because multiple code paths can be used
for estimating that we filled the pipe in Startup; any new code paths
only need to set this bit when they think the pipe is full.

Note that this fix intentionally reduces the width of the full_bw_cnt
counter, since we have never used the most significant bit.

Signed-off-by: Neal Cardwell <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Yuchung Cheng <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Soheil Hassas Yeganeh <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c | 7 +++++--
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c b/net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c
index cb8db34..97f9cac 100644
--- a/net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c
+++ b/net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c
@@ -81,7 +81,8 @@ struct bbr {
 	u32	lt_last_lost;	     /* LT intvl start: tp->lost */
 	u32	pacing_gain:10,	/* current gain for setting pacing rate */
 		cwnd_gain:10,	/* current gain for setting cwnd */
-		full_bw_cnt:3,	/* number of rounds without large bw gains */
+		full_bw_reached:1,   /* reached full bw in Startup? */
+		full_bw_cnt:2,	/* number of rounds without large bw gains */
 		cycle_idx:3,	/* current index in pacing_gain cycle array */
 		has_seen_rtt:1, /* have we seen an RTT sample yet? */
 		unused_b:5;
@@ -151,7 +152,7 @@ static bool bbr_full_bw_reached(const struct sock *sk)
 {
 	const struct bbr *bbr = inet_csk_ca(sk);
 
-	return bbr->full_bw_cnt >= bbr_full_bw_cnt;
+	return bbr->full_bw_reached;
 }
 
 /* Return the windowed max recent bandwidth sample, in pkts/uS << BW_SCALE. */
@@ -688,6 +689,7 @@ static void bbr_check_full_bw_reached(struct sock *sk,
 		return;
 	}
 	++bbr->full_bw_cnt;
+	bbr->full_bw_reached = bbr->full_bw_cnt >= bbr_full_bw_cnt;
 }
 
 /* If pipe is probably full, drain the queue and then enter steady-state. */
@@ -821,6 +823,7 @@ static void bbr_init(struct sock *sk)
 	bbr->restore_cwnd = 0;
 	bbr->round_start = 0;
 	bbr->idle_restart = 0;
+	bbr->full_bw_reached = 0;
 	bbr->full_bw = 0;
 	bbr->full_bw_cnt = 0;
 	bbr->cycle_mstamp.v64 = 0;
-- 
2.9.5