Subject: [PATCH 30/55] tcp_bbr: fix to zero idle_restart only upon S/ACKed data

From: Neal Cardwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2018 21:45:41 -0400

[ Upstream commit e6e6a278b1eaffa19d42186bfacd1ffc15a50b3f ]

Previously the bbr->idle_restart tracking was zeroing out the
bbr->idle_restart bit upon ACKs that did not SACK or ACK anything,
e.g. receiving incoming data or receiver window updates. In such
situations BBR would forget that this was a restart-from-idle
situation, and if the min_rtt had expired it would unnecessarily enter
PROBE_RTT (even though we were actually restarting from idle but had
merely forgotten that fact).

The fix is simple: we need to remember we are restarting from idle
until we receive a S/ACK for some data (a S/ACK for the first flight
of data we send as we are restarting).

This commit is a stable candidate for kernels back as far as 4.9.

Fixes: 0f8782ea1497 ("tcp_bbr: add BBR congestion control")
Signed-off-by: Neal Cardwell <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Yuchung Cheng <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Soheil Hassas Yeganeh <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Priyaranjan Jha <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Yousuk Seung <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c b/net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c
index a471f696e13c..29478454b527 100644
--- a/net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c
+++ b/net/ipv4/tcp_bbr.c
@@ -803,7 +803,9 @@ static void bbr_update_min_rtt(struct sock *sk, const struct rate_sample *rs)
 			}
 		}
 	}
-	bbr->idle_restart = 0;
+	/* Restart after idle ends only once we process a new S/ACK for data */
+	if (rs->delivered > 0)
+		bbr->idle_restart = 0;
 }
 
 static void bbr_update_model(struct sock *sk, const struct rate_sample *rs)
-- 
2.14.3