Subject: [PATCH 02/17] l2tp: use sk_dst_check() to avoid race on sk->sk_dst_cache

From: Wei Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 11:14:56 -0700

[ Upstream commit 6d37fa49da1e8db8fb1995be22ac837ca41ac8a8 ]

In l2tp code, if it is a L2TP_UDP_ENCAP tunnel, tunnel->sk points to a
UDP socket. User could call sendmsg() on both this tunnel and the UDP
socket itself concurrently. As l2tp_xmit_skb() holds socket lock and call
__sk_dst_check() to refresh sk->sk_dst_cache, while udpv6_sendmsg() is
lockless and call sk_dst_check() to refresh sk->sk_dst_cache, there
could be a race and cause the dst cache to be freed multiple times.
So we fix l2tp side code to always call sk_dst_check() to garantee
xchg() is called when refreshing sk->sk_dst_cache to avoid race
conditions.

Syzkaller reported stack trace:
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in atomic_read include/asm-generic/atomic-instrumented.h:21 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in atomic_fetch_add_unless include/linux/atomic.h:575 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in atomic_add_unless include/linux/atomic.h:597 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in dst_hold_safe include/net/dst.h:308 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in ip6_hold_safe+0xe6/0x670 net/ipv6/route.c:1029
Read of size 4 at addr ffff8801aea9a880 by task syz-executor129/4829

CPU: 0 PID: 4829 Comm: syz-executor129 Not tainted 4.18.0-rc7-next-20180802+ #30
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/01/2011
Call Trace:
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:77 [inline]
 dump_stack+0x1c9/0x2b4 lib/dump_stack.c:113
 print_address_description+0x6c/0x20b mm/kasan/report.c:256
 kasan_report_error mm/kasan/report.c:354 [inline]
 kasan_report.cold.7+0x242/0x30d mm/kasan/report.c:412
 check_memory_region_inline mm/kasan/kasan.c:260 [inline]
 check_memory_region+0x13e/0x1b0 mm/kasan/kasan.c:267
 kasan_check_read+0x11/0x20 mm/kasan/kasan.c:272
 atomic_read include/asm-generic/atomic-instrumented.h:21 [inline]
 atomic_fetch_add_unless include/linux/atomic.h:575 [inline]
 atomic_add_unless include/linux/atomic.h:597 [inline]
 dst_hold_safe include/net/dst.h:308 [inline]
 ip6_hold_safe+0xe6/0x670 net/ipv6/route.c:1029
 rt6_get_pcpu_route net/ipv6/route.c:1249 [inline]
 ip6_pol_route+0x354/0xd20 net/ipv6/route.c:1922
 ip6_pol_route_output+0x54/0x70 net/ipv6/route.c:2098
 fib6_rule_lookup+0x283/0x890 net/ipv6/fib6_rules.c:122
 ip6_route_output_flags+0x2c5/0x350 net/ipv6/route.c:2126
 ip6_dst_lookup_tail+0x1278/0x1da0 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:978
 ip6_dst_lookup_flow+0xc8/0x270 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:1079
 ip6_sk_dst_lookup_flow+0x5ed/0xc50 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:1117
 udpv6_sendmsg+0x2163/0x36b0 net/ipv6/udp.c:1354
 inet_sendmsg+0x1a1/0x690 net/ipv4/af_inet.c:798
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:622 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg+0xd5/0x120 net/socket.c:632
 ___sys_sendmsg+0x51d/0x930 net/socket.c:2115
 __sys_sendmmsg+0x240/0x6f0 net/socket.c:2210
 __do_sys_sendmmsg net/socket.c:2239 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmmsg net/socket.c:2236 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendmmsg+0x9d/0x100 net/socket.c:2236
 do_syscall_64+0x1b9/0x820 arch/x86/entry/common.c:290
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x49/0xbe
RIP: 0033:0x446a29
Code: e8 ac b8 02 00 48 83 c4 18 c3 0f 1f 80 00 00 00 00 48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 0f 83 eb 08 fc ff c3 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00
RSP: 002b:00007f4de5532db8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000133
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00000000006dcc38 RCX: 0000000000446a29
RDX: 00000000000000b8 RSI: 0000000020001b00 RDI: 0000000000000003
RBP: 00000000006dcc30 R08: 00007f4de5533700 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 00000000006dcc3c
R13: 00007ffe2b830fdf R14: 00007f4de55339c0 R15: 0000000000000001

Fixes: 71b1391a4128 ("l2tp: ensure sk->dst is still valid")
Reported-by: [email-masked]
Signed-off-by: Wei Wang <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Martin KaFai Lau <[email-masked]>
Cc: Guillaume Nault <[email-masked]>
Cc: David Ahern <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cong Wang <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 net/l2tp/l2tp_core.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/net/l2tp/l2tp_core.c b/net/l2tp/l2tp_core.c
index 40261cb68e83..8aaf8157da2b 100644
--- a/net/l2tp/l2tp_core.c
+++ b/net/l2tp/l2tp_core.c
@@ -1110,7 +1110,7 @@ int l2tp_xmit_skb(struct l2tp_session *session, struct sk_buff *skb, int hdr_len
 
 	/* Get routing info from the tunnel socket */
 	skb_dst_drop(skb);
-	skb_dst_set(skb, dst_clone(__sk_dst_check(sk, 0)));
+	skb_dst_set(skb, sk_dst_check(sk, 0));
 
 	inet = inet_sk(sk);
 	fl = &inet->cork.fl;
-- 
2.17.1