Subject: [PATCH 03/23] net: avoid potential infinite loop in tc_ctl_action()

From: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 11:22:30 -0700

[ Upstream commit 39f13ea2f61b439ebe0060393e9c39925c9ee28c ]

tc_ctl_action() has the ability to loop forever if tcf_action_add()
returns -EAGAIN.

This special case has been done in case a module needed to be loaded,
but it turns out that tcf_add_notify() could also return -EAGAIN
if the socket sk_rcvbuf limit is hit.

We need to separate the two cases, and only loop for the module
loading case.

While we are at it, add a limit of 10 attempts since unbounded
loops are always scary.

syzbot repro was something like :

socket(PF_NETLINK, SOCK_RAW|SOCK_NONBLOCK, NETLINK_ROUTE) = 3
write(3, ..., 38) = 38
setsockopt(3, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, [0], 4) = 0
sendmsg(3, {msg_name(0)=NULL, msg_iov(1)=[{..., 388}], msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0x10}, ...)

NMI backtrace for cpu 0
CPU: 0 PID: 1054 Comm: khungtaskd Not tainted 5.4.0-rc1+ #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/01/2011
Call Trace:
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:77 [inline]
 dump_stack+0x172/0x1f0 lib/dump_stack.c:113
 nmi_cpu_backtrace.cold+0x70/0xb2 lib/nmi_backtrace.c:101
 nmi_trigger_cpumask_backtrace+0x23b/0x28b lib/nmi_backtrace.c:62
 arch_trigger_cpumask_backtrace+0x14/0x20 arch/x86/kernel/apic/hw_nmi.c:38
 trigger_all_cpu_backtrace include/linux/nmi.h:146 [inline]
 check_hung_uninterruptible_tasks kernel/hung_task.c:205 [inline]
 watchdog+0x9d0/0xef0 kernel/hung_task.c:289
 kthread+0x361/0x430 kernel/kthread.c:255
 ret_from_fork+0x24/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:352
Sending NMI from CPU 0 to CPUs 1:
NMI backtrace for cpu 1
CPU: 1 PID: 8859 Comm: syz-executor910 Not tainted 5.4.0-rc1+ #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/01/2011
RIP: 0010:arch_local_save_flags arch/x86/include/asm/paravirt.h:751 [inline]
RIP: 0010:lockdep_hardirqs_off+0x1df/0x2e0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3453
Code: 5c 08 00 00 5b 41 5c 41 5d 5d c3 48 c7 c0 58 1d f3 88 48 ba 00 00 00 00 00 fc ff df 48 c1 e8 03 80 3c 10 00 0f 85 d3 00 00 00 <48> 83 3d 21 9e 99 07 00 0f 84 b9 00 00 00 9c 58 0f 1f 44 00 00 f6
RSP: 0018:ffff8880a6f3f1b8 EFLAGS: 00000046
RAX: 1ffffffff11e63ab RBX: ffff88808c9c6080 RCX: 0000000000000000
RDX: dffffc0000000000 RSI: 0000000000000000 RDI: ffff88808c9c6914
RBP: ffff8880a6f3f1d0 R08: ffff88808c9c6080 R09: fffffbfff16be5d1
R10: fffffbfff16be5d0 R11: 0000000000000003 R12: ffffffff8746591f
R13: ffff88808c9c6080 R14: ffffffff8746591f R15: 0000000000000003
FS:  00000000011e4880(0000) GS:ffff8880ae900000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: ffffffffff600400 CR3: 00000000a8920000 CR4: 00000000001406e0
DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400
Call Trace:
 trace_hardirqs_off+0x62/0x240 kernel/trace/trace_preemptirq.c:45
 __raw_spin_lock_irqsave include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:108 [inline]
 _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0x6f/0xcd kernel/locking/spinlock.c:159
 __wake_up_common_lock+0xc8/0x150 kernel/sched/wait.c:122
 __wake_up+0xe/0x10 kernel/sched/wait.c:142
 netlink_unlock_table net/netlink/af_netlink.c:466 [inline]
 netlink_unlock_table net/netlink/af_netlink.c:463 [inline]
 netlink_broadcast_filtered+0x705/0xb80 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1514
 netlink_broadcast+0x3a/0x50 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1534
 rtnetlink_send+0xdd/0x110 net/core/rtnetlink.c:714
 tcf_add_notify net/sched/act_api.c:1343 [inline]
 tcf_action_add+0x243/0x370 net/sched/act_api.c:1362
 tc_ctl_action+0x3b5/0x4bc net/sched/act_api.c:1410
 rtnetlink_rcv_msg+0x463/0xb00 net/core/rtnetlink.c:5386
 netlink_rcv_skb+0x177/0x450 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2477
 rtnetlink_rcv+0x1d/0x30 net/core/rtnetlink.c:5404
 netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1302 [inline]
 netlink_unicast+0x531/0x710 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1328
 netlink_sendmsg+0x8a5/0xd60 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1917
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:637 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg+0xd7/0x130 net/socket.c:657
 ___sys_sendmsg+0x803/0x920 net/socket.c:2311
 __sys_sendmsg+0x105/0x1d0 net/socket.c:2356
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2365 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2363 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x78/0xb0 net/socket.c:2363
 do_syscall_64+0xfa/0x760 arch/x86/entry/common.c:290
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x49/0xbe
RIP: 0033:0x440939

Fixes: 1da177e4c3f4 ("Linux-2.6.12-rc2")
Signed-off-by: Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]>
Reported-by: [email-masked]
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 net/sched/act_api.c | 14 ++++++++------
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/net/sched/act_api.c b/net/sched/act_api.c
index 2558f00f6b3e..6ef2cdc316d2 100644
--- a/net/sched/act_api.c
+++ b/net/sched/act_api.c
@@ -1352,11 +1352,16 @@ static int tcf_action_add(struct net *net, struct nlattr *nla,
 			  struct netlink_ext_ack *extack)
 {
 	size_t attr_size = 0;
-	int ret = 0;
+	int loop, ret;
 	struct tc_action *actions[TCA_ACT_MAX_PRIO] = {};
 
-	ret = tcf_action_init(net, NULL, nla, NULL, NULL, ovr, 0, actions,
-			      &attr_size, true, extack);
+	for (loop = 0; loop < 10; loop++) {
+		ret = tcf_action_init(net, NULL, nla, NULL, NULL, ovr, 0,
+				      actions, &attr_size, true, extack);
+		if (ret != -EAGAIN)
+			break;
+	}
+
 	if (ret < 0)
 		return ret;
 	ret = tcf_add_notify(net, n, actions, portid, attr_size, extack);
@@ -1406,11 +1411,8 @@ static int tc_ctl_action(struct sk_buff *skb, struct nlmsghdr *n,
 		 */
 		if (n->nlmsg_flags & NLM_F_REPLACE)
 			ovr = 1;
-replay:
 		ret = tcf_action_add(net, tca[TCA_ACT_TAB], n, portid, ovr,
 				     extack);
-		if (ret == -EAGAIN)
-			goto replay;
 		break;
 	case RTM_DELACTION:
 		ret = tca_action_gd(net, tca[TCA_ACT_TAB], n,
-- 
2.20.1